Monday, March 12, 2007

Springtime Musings


Today is Monday. On Thursday, we will be in beautiful Tempe, Arizona, working on our sunburns and watching Angels baseball. In the meantime, I have compiled a list of players that have impressed me and pissed me off so far this spring. I'll do a revised list when I get back to see how on target I was.
HITTERS

HIGH-FIVE:
1. Erick Gaybar: 5-for-6 on Saturday, a home run yesterday. Mice Hair better watch out or he may be learning the ways of the Mormons before long.
2. Kenny Howdrick: Batting .500 so far in the spring. Ho-hum. He'll hit .300 this season, guaranteed.
3. Reggie Willits: Let's think of a new nickname for him this weekend, please. The Diff'rent Strokes reference is too easy. Reggie's hitting, running, diving, etc. so far this spring. Captain Murphy may be the odd man out.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!:
1. Johnny Mathis: Uhhhh, Jeff? Didn't you used to be a top prospect? I'm pretty sure Mathis couldn't hit the coach pitching in Alex's league right now. He's 1-for-19 this spring. Yuck.
2. Gary Matthews Juicer: I hated him before he was an Angel, I hated him when he signed with the Angels, and now I hate how he's cowering behind his agent and Robert Shapiro in this whole HGH situation. And I REALLY hate how he's not hitting at all this spring.
PITCHERS

HIGH-FIVE:
1. Pedro Serrano: He's no spring chicken, but he's looking pretty good so far, notching 3 saves in as many chances. He won't make the club, but he's nice to have in reserve.
2. Fat Tire: The front-runner for the last bullpen spot, Fat Tire has done an outstanding job so far. I really, really hope he makes the team and excels. He has it in him.
3. Sugar Shane Moseley: Five shutout innings yesterday with the B squad playing behind him. I'm not a huge fan of the guy, but he's been worth his salt so far.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!:
1. Chris Poser: He doesn't deserve two nicknames, but I am unveiling the new nickname of Resop Choi for us to use from now on. With that said, I hope we don't have to use it much because I hope he isn't in Anaheim, at least not this April. Poser has given up 12 runs in 6 innings and has just looked awful. We traded Geek X for him!?!
2. Phil Seibel: New nickname? How about Crappy Lefthander? Ten runs in 5 innings so far. And we traded The Don for him.
Bratwurst awaits...

3 Comments:

At 12:39 PM, Blogger dil8d halo said...

I'm really looking forward to Kenny Howdrick and Fat Tire this year. How can FT not be picked for the team? He's been outstanding! And he bares the name of one of my favorite beers! Do I even have to comment on GM Juicer? What a disgrace. Can his contract be voided immediately?! And Mathis is a joke. Not a very funny one either...

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger WiseAndEck said...

Apparently Mathis reads this blog because on the very day I put him on the Are You Kidding Me?!!? list, he goes and hits two home runs against the Royales With Cheese.

Fiasco looked great as well, throwing four shutout innings.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger dil8d halo said...

That's awesome about Mathis, but one game does not an MLB career make. Also, I like that Fiasco is looking good. After looking the type that spawned his nickname last season, we could use workman-like performances...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home